Friday, October 3, 2008

the best of sofra :)

So we went to Sofra today AND we brought a camera along! Finally, this foodblog (or whatever semblance it has of it) has photos! :D :D
This was our second time there (together). The first time, we had the salad platter which was an assortment of various different salads and hummus. We also shared a chef's plate which was 'highly recommended' and which consisted of turkish bread, beef patty, chicken patty, doner kebab (lamb and chicken) and shish kebab (chicken).
We loved the eggplant salad and the hummus so this time, we ordered just the eggplant salad and the hummus with turkish bread.

The eggplant salad, as usual, was really good. Despite sharon's insistence that eggplant does not have taste, I put my foot down because I do think that eggplant has taste. It has this really slight twang to it and the texture is unmistakable. Yes, it does absorb the flavours of whatever it is cooked in, but there is just something unique about eggplant.

Well, I havent had many eggplant dishes in my life, but from whatever little I have had, this was quite good. It's a tad bit oily but well, if I remember correctly, eggplant is virtually calorie-less, so who cares?



We also had mussaka with chicken, which is basically like stewed eggplant and minced chicken. (yes, we really like eggplant.) I had this the first time I came so I knew it was good. And it was still good. This didn't really taste very "turkish" I think, it reminded me of something that my maid used to cook as I was growing up. The stew was aromatically seasoned, the tomato paste was really nice and tangy.


Worthy of special mention is the rice, which tasted like brown rice according to Sharon. It was really nice and fluffy. It wasn't damp, more to the dry side like fried rice, but still soft.


The mussaka atop the rice.. MMMM. makes me want more.


Everything that we ordered put together. From left, mussaka, eggplant salad, hummus. We're just missing the bread because we had finished it. That does NOT mean that the other dishes were not good therefore we had leftovers; in fact, SHARON finished it, picking at it irresistably even though we concluded that we were full!


All in all, it was a good meal. My favourite dishes from Sofra, the other dishes that we've tried from there before were just aight, not that great in our opinion. These are, the best of Sofra.

Sofra Turkish Cafe & Restaurant
#02-42
100 Beach Road
Shaw Towers
Singapore 189702

P/S - Sharon says she is not a glutton

No comments: