Saturday, October 11, 2008

Fosters, the Steak Cafe

We never planned on going to Fosters. We wanted to check out the all-day brunch menu (burger inspired) at Relish but it was closed for an event today. We wanted to go to Bistro Petit Salut but we were too late for lunch. It seemed that almost every place was closed for lunch. Sharon wanted to go to Monster Mash but I didn't want to. She suggested pizza but I didn't feel like Italian. Fosters was like our last choice.

Not that Fosters is not good. In fact Fosters is one of my favourite places. Why? Because this is the only place where they know how to get my steak a beautiful medium-rare. And I always insist that steak is wasted unless it is done medium-rare. There needs to be a bit of blood, a bit of that raw fibrous texture. You need to taste the beef. 'Nuff said. Sorry to those who like their beef well-done (like Sharon who has since seen the light), but that's not the way to eat your beef.



We started out with a bread basket. The bread's most probably from Delifrance but they did a really good job of toasting it because the bread was nice and hot and crusty when we had it. Nothing to boast about though.

Sharon ordered the Pan-Grilled Marinated Chicken dusted with seasoned flour served with black pepper sauce. I ordered the Pepper Steak, juicy tenderloin coated with crushed black pepper.


This is my steak, my glorious steak. It is not merely coated in black pepper, it is encrusted, to be exact. Do not order this if you do not like black pepper. Every mouthful is an explosion of biting, full-bodied succulence. The robust meat paired with caramelised onions, don't even get me started.






No place has ever given me steak like this before. It's a thick slab but look how evenly done the steak is. See how the steak is such a deep pink throughout? Marvellous job. It's actually a bit overcooked for a medium-rare and there isn't much blood at all. It's like in between medium-rare and medium, to me. But it's good enough, one can't be too picky.

Although Fosters doesn't always get it right, it is the only restaurant that has ever given me a proper medium-rare steak, that is medium-rare throughout. I don't know what they do, but they do it so well. Tell me, do you know anywhere else which serves up such thick steak, so evenly done?

The steak came with a jacket potato. Sharon had it, I don't like baked potatoes. She didn't seem to like it very much.

Her order of chicken. It was done quite nicely. The pepper sauce was delectable. It first tastes like barbeque sauce but the sweet-savoury sensation on your tongue quickly gives way to the peppery punch. It reminded me of the chicken chop at Jerry's. Other than that, nothing great. The fries were double-fried and the vegetables were limp. It's a reasonable dish.

Come here for the steak.

Fosters
277 Holland Ave
Holland Village
Singapore 278994

No comments: