Friday, October 17, 2008

royal copenhagen

We finally got down to going to Royal Copenhagen after talking about it for so long. When we arrived, we were pleasantly surprised by the dazzling array of cakes and pastries. Even a non-dessert person like me was excited. I am still excited.

Come on, don't you want to lick the screen? Check out that chocolate in the extreme right corner! I want to stick my thumb in it like Little Jack Horner..
We were here to check out the famous Royal Copenhagen scones. I used to hear Sharon go on and on about how wonderful these are. And boy do they look good. I was bumbling with excitement.

I was quite disappointed. The texture of the scone was very nice. It's nice, warm and dense.

But the taste left much to be desired. It was simply not fragrant. That buttery aroma and taste was sorely absent. It would have been so much nicer if they had used more (quality) butter; so that the scone crumbles beautifully and melts irresistably in your mouth. I don't mean, crumble as in disintegrate when you hold it.

I imagine the perfect scone to be somewhat resistant to pressure so that it does not end up in crushed crumbs the moment you hold it, but not so hard that you need to gnaw your way through it. The ideal scone holds up to pressure in your hand, succumbs suitably to a good bite and then the edges crumble, melt, dissolve, leavin good-sized (notice I didn't say tiny), near-crunchy morsels of buttery perfection. Oh sweet heavens.

You know, I can just imagine the way it should have been and it already makes me mad that the famous Royal Copenhagen scones are so ridiculously far off.

The jam was shockingly horrid. It tasted artificial and treacly. I rather they give me fairprice jam. Sharon explained that the jam used to be a lot better but they're probably trying to cut costs. The butter was not fragrant (again). 'Disappointment' is not even the word to be used here. Try 'aghast'.

We also ordered the Honey Date pudding because it sounded too good to miss out on. A Scandinavian dessert served with fresh fruits, homemade butterscotch sauce and fresh cream. Now, this was a different story altogether. I liked this one, and not just because it looks like something only found in paradise. I want to fly to Scandinavia right here right now.



To be honest, it was a bit dry. But the taste was oh-so-scrumptious! The honey and the butterscotch were delightful. In so many desserts, you taste the faint sweetness of the honey but you can't really taste the honey. In this one, you can literally smell the honey, savour the distinct honey taste, all while enjoying that marvellous butterscotch goodness too! Oh..top this power combination with cream as light as air.. You have got me going once, going twice, sold.

I really quite like the taste of this treasure. I like it so much I polished it off, and I'm not usually the one who finishes dessert. It's a pity its really quite dry. If they could improve on that, this would be a formidable dessert.

Sharon tells me that Marmalade Pantry has better sticky date pudding but I've never tried that one, but I will soon and let you know if it really is better.


Royal Copenhagen Tea Lounge and Restaurant
Takashimaya Singapore Department Store
391 Orchard Road
Level 2
Singapore 238873

No comments: