Thursday, October 23, 2008

hooked on hooked!

ok people. I eat my words. I said that there was no good food in the North. I said that when right across Meng Kitchen, there was Hooked!

This is not their flagship outlet, the original is at Upper Bukit Timah but I've never tried that. To be honest, it would never have crossed my mind to even consider this place. We wanted to try the Vietnamese place along Upp Thomson Road but it closed down. It was late, we had just gone to the gym and I was starving. I'm positive Sharon heard my stomach growl.

I must say they have a very extensive menu. I think there were 700 plus items in their menu! I deduced this because the last item on their menu had a number 700-something. Although I must admit that their first item started on 100-something. (Ee. Play cheat) But really, in all honesty, their menu is very interesting and very extensive. I was quite blown away by the variety.

After we ordered, we waited a long time for our food to come. I fell asleep at the table. Yes, I did, like Goldilocks.
We ordered Salmon Wonder rolls. Thin slices of Salmon fillet spread with Medelov sauce, wrapped with asparagus carrots, topped with fish roe and slow-baked till just under-cooked. 3 for $10.90. (Kill people set fire)

But, it was good. Boy did they deliver. Wonder rolls they say? Wonder rolls they are. It was not fishy at all and salmon normally is. The crunch of the asparagus complemented the salmon's molten texture perfectly. The sauce was brilliant and the fish was done just undercooked, just like they promised. I enjoyed this thoroughly.


Roasted Cod in Lemongrass Miso. This is how they described it: Generous portion of Cod steak roasted till the full aroma of the lemongrass miso comes through.

When this first came, I thought to myself. This dish is not going to be good. I've never been so wrong. It is ohmygawdicantbelieveit-good. If I thought the wonder rolls were good, these were magnificent. I have nothing but glowing reviews for it. This cod is truly ambrosial. It was remarkably fresh and the miso sauce was sensational.

I think the service staff thought we were weird. We kept stuffing fish into our mouths all the time muttering "wahlaueh this is damn good". (Eh. When I say wahlaueh, its really wahlaueh.) Utter disbelief at how good this tasted.

The texture was faultless. It was so tender you can't pick it up with a fork. That's not all. Despite the fish being so gloriously tender, the skin was astoundingly crispy. As I chewed on it, I literally heard the crackling of the skin. And that magnificent collagen-providing fat under the skin was so succulent so soft. "Oh. my, gawdddd...." (like Janice from Friends)

Seriously, this is possibly the BEST cod I have had. The texture was so good it was surreal. This fish died a martyr. It was a monumental moment for me there. Other fish I have had were good, they were fresh and sweet and succulent. But none gave me texture like this. This beats the like of Fish and Co. hands down. Hands down baby, hands down. Oh what the heck, feets down too if there's such a thing.

The only thing I can say is that the portion is pathetic. Look at that anorexic slice of fish and tell me is it a generous portion like they said it would be? I left the place still hungry. Otherwise, I'm coming back here. For sure. I love fish and seafood, and the food here is relatively healthy. Steamed, baked, roasted, grilled.. My daddy's going to love this place.

Thank you Hooked for giving us Northies hope!

Hooked!
203 Upper Thomson Road

No comments: