Thursday, October 23, 2008

sun moulin II - Sharon's virgin post

The following post is written by Sharon:
Disclaimer: Just in case any of you were wondering. Yes, Sharon exists. See I wished I had a good excuse for my silence thus far. Maybe some fantastic story about how my fingers had grown too fat from all the eating (in a bid to start out this blog) and so I had to wait till I had slimmed down some to regain my shapely, slender, and not to mention, keyboard-friendly fingers. But sadly, no. I think the word we're all looking for here is: LAZINESS. (Right Sheryl?) Nevertheless, Sharon is here to stay. Hopefully. Reminder, Sharon is Lazy.

Here goes my first post. Damn my hands are clamy.

So Sheryl and I paid another visit to Sun Moulin. No, it's not because we were blown away from our first visit there but more because there's a shortage of good bakeries in town. Save for Breadtalk (which anyway can be found at any mall in the heartlands) and maybe Four Leaves at Takashimaya, (Sheryl: erm, Four Leaves good meh?) there just aren't any other good bakeries in the city area. Someone should really tell Provence to open an outlet in town.

Well, the truth of the matter is that I was feeling snackish and craved the Brazillian bun from Provence. Sun Moulin's cheese mochi was the closest substitute to be had, hence our decision to go there. (Again, someone please tell Provence to open an outlet in town. Someone. Anyone! Just SOMEONE please tell them!!) (Sheryl: ok people, forgive Sharon. She's a bit passionate about Provence.)

My craving for just the cheese mochi gave way to greed once I was presented with the delightful spread of breads that were for sale. Everytime I go to a bakery, I feel like a two year old girl in a sweet shop. I see everything and I want everything. I know they're bad for me, but I still want everything. I know I can't have them all, but I still try to get away with as much as I can. Today was no different. After a very full lunch, I still bought three breads to try, the snow custard, the an pan and the cheese mochi. (Yes Sheryl, you shared them with me so it cannot be counted as me having eaten all by myself. I know the drill.)

First up, the snow custard. It's a cake. No, it's a bun. No, it's a cake. No, it's a bun. Actually, its neither a cake nor a bun. It's BOTH a cake AND a bun. Think a rich custard bun enveloped in butter cake with the top encrusted like a hokkaido dome from BreadTalk and you would come close to the textural treat this provided in your mouth. Can't imagine it? Well, you know where you're headed for this weekend. Trust me, this is Gooooooooood.

Sheryl: The custard is the same as the cream coronet, which we reviewed in the last post. I still can't get over how fantastic this custard is. It's eggy and milky and eggy and milky.. it's the perfect cross between Provence's milk pan and custard pan. There's also a slight hint of lemon in it which made it all the more invigorating. The only thing I wish they could do is to make it cold, the way Provence does theirs. Oh if only it could be cold. Imagine cold delicious custard, smooth and satin-like, milky and sweet, oozing out of a warm freshly baked bun. Oh I know! Even better, put it in a mochi-donut!! A mochi-donut is a little donut ball (much like the size a Dunkin Donut ball) that's chewy. I've had it in HK and it was darn friggin' good. Combine that with the custard, lip-smacking I tell you. Lip-smacking. Just imagine it!

Sun Moulin has a few offerings of an pans and we decided to try another one of them, just for the heck of it. I had remembered this to be quite good from a previous visit but boy were we disappointed. Then again, that was before Sheryl introduced me to the an pan from Provence. Since then, I haven't found one that even comes close to matching it. Well well, another one bites the dust. (Seriously now, do we need more reasons for Provence to open an outlet in town?)


Sheryl: The an pan was, as you can see for yourself, clearly too dry. They might as well have given us a lump of an-pan flavoured clay. They're obviously not very consistent. Anyway, the main reason why we chose this was because Sharon said that this an pan uses hawaiian bread and which is incredibly soft and fluffy. I agreed that it was soft but it was a bit dry and (I can't believe I'm saying this) yeasty. I did not think that it was exceptional. I thought it was quite normal actually.


Disclaimer: Lest any of you are tempted to call me out for being lazy and not reviewing the cheese mochi, I didn't review it as Sheryl had already done so in our previous post on Sun Moulin. Ah-huh!
Sheryl: Yes, we tried the mochi. Just an update though, the mochi was considerably a lot more chewy than we remembered so that was good. But the cheese taste was very strong too and it was too overwhelming. Again another testimony to Sun Moulin's inconsistent standards. Nonetheless, its a great bakery.

In an ideal world, there would be a bakery that sold the fiery floss and steamed green tea cake (yes, we do like those too), the snow custard from Sun Moulin along with the Brazillian bun from Provence, amongst other things of course. Remember, little girl in the sweet shop?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI i came across your blog after googling brazilian cheese buns and I TOTALLY AGREE that provence has to open an outlet in town! and yes your dream bakery totally suits my dream bakery. haha. cheers to better bread!

-eve

Unknown said...

I live in Sydney and feeling absolutely hungry and homesick reading your blog. Great ideas of what to eat next time back in Singapore. Great work.