Friday, October 24, 2008

THE legendary zhen zhen porridge

There was a time when I thought that I had no fate with Zhen Zhen Porridge. I have gone to Maxwell SO many times, specially to try the porridge famed as Singapore's best. Unfortunately, they're always either closed or sold out.

But my luck has changed for the better. I have managed to try THE porridge. No more Tuesday boo-boos for me, going after lunch or going at lunch or going on days with only an hour to spare.(They're closed on Tuesdays and they sell out quick on other days and you almost always have to queue) Today, before 8am, I was savouring the legendary Zhen Zhen Porridge. I feel privileged.
This bowl of porridge is not Singapore's most famous bowl of porridge without a reason. The porridge is supposed to be the Hainanese type, which means in between the Teochew grainy version and the Cantonese creamy gruel. It is definitely not as creamy as the Cantonese chok I'm used to (can't find those around anymore, you have to cook it yourself for a full day to get it right); but close enough. The rice grains in Zhen Zhen's porridge are not totally dissolved to form a thick velvet paste but cooked long enough for the grains to partially disintegrate into a smooth consistency. It is definitely more Cantonese than Teochew. For sure.
I like congee so I liked this one. I think it might be a bit too smooth for some people, they may think it's like drinking soup rather than eating porridge. But I think true blue porridge-lovers will like this. Because porridge is not water + rice. Porridge is a completely different substance altogether. It takes on a different dimension. Cooking porridge is an art.
I like my porridge to be really really thick and smooth, the really old school chok that my grandmother used to cook. First you have to soak the rice in sesame oil. Then she would boil it for a full day till the grains have dissolved completely into a thick paste. Throw in some pork (or whatever ingredient you fancy, ) a dash of pepper, a lot of sesame oil, a raw egg.. Her porridge was good enough to beat any top restaurants. But proper chok requires so much work I can't imagine anyone willing to put in that effort. Only dear old grandmothers who love you so much would go to such extent for you.

So anyway, Zhen Zhen's porridge is really smooth and nice, the way I think porridge-lovers will like it. Look at that consistency! It's really quite hard to find a place that sells it this thick.
They are also very generous with their ingredients so its very good.
The fish was a bit overcooked but it can't really be helped since the fish will continue to cook in the steaming-hot porridge, after the initial douse in hot water. I don't understand why they gave so much ginger too, it almost felt like I was eating ginger porridge than fish porridge. I like my porridge to be infused with the fragrance of sesame oil and there was not enough sesame oil so my porridge wasn't very pang initially. Luckily, the stall offers you extra sesame oil in a saucer if you request for it. Other than that, no complaints. Zhen Zhen's Porridge is really quite a formidable bowl of porridge and I fully understand why it's hailed as Singapore's best.


Zhen Zhen Porridge

Maxwell Food Centre
Stall 54

No comments: