Sunday, October 19, 2008

childhood carrot cake fries. :D

I grew up adoring these fries. Deep fried carrot cake fries. I used to hate carrot cake as a kid but I adored these with a vengeance. How ingenious of them to think of cutting up carrot cake as fries.
This stall used to be perenially crowded and I used to queue for at least half an hour everytime I had a carrot cake fries craving. It is no longer as popular but still good.

These do not taste like normal carrot cake. As I said, I used to hate carrot cake as a child but I loved these. It does not have the "oomph-sei" of carrot cake and actually tastes more like kueh. Sharon prefers the normal carrot cake because this is not strong-tasting enough for her.

Why do I like these then? Because these are exceptionally and utterly pang. Just a sniff of its redolent aroma is enough to make me salivate. They are fragrant to a fault. The aroma is ridiculously powerful. I remember dashing downstairs from the upper level in church because just a whiff of it was enough to bring about effusive waves of hunger pangs.

The carrot cake is very firm, not hard but firm. It is very smooth and you will not spot the occasional carrot cake shreds so highly treasured in other carrot cakes. (As I said, it does not taste like the normal carrot cake!) Children will love these, I did!

These are utterly scrumptious, utterly deep-fried and so sinful. They are fried at extreme temperatures till they are splendidly bronzed, crispy on the outside yet still so wondrously moist and soft inside. Eat it freshly-fried when the outside is slightly scabrous and firm.

If you leave it for too long, it becomes limp and does not do its initial state justice at all.

Deep Fried Carrot Cake
Whampoa Market
#01-36

No comments: