Friday, October 24, 2008

tapioca cake @ maxwell

Our next introduction is the humble tapioca cake and we will be introducing the best one that we know of at Maxwell Food Centre. I didn't what the shop name is till I took notice of it this time round, we just know it as the Maxwell Tapioca Cake. (I'm not even sure why we know it as Tapioca Cake. It's obviously a steamed kueh.)

The most striking thing about this tapioca cake is the texture. The tapioca cake here is the softest thing ever. It's a downy pillow showered in coconut shavings. It's so soft that when I press it, I feel like it's melting from the pressure. My fingers are moist from just handling it because its so full of water. It's really more like gel than kueh. These darlings melt in your mouth AND in your hand. This place is extremely generous with the amount of coconut they give so the kueh is very coconutty. A few hours later I could still taste the coconut in my mouth. The coconut shavings are very very good. The top-grade kind of coconut without the sour aftertaste of stale coconut. This kueh also had the very distinct tapioca flavour; very clean, subtle and light. I could eat 10 of these!

Xing Xing Tapioca Cake/Ondeh Ondeh
Maxwell Food Centre
Stall 31
p/s- Remember to go early because this place sells out quick!

No comments: